Friday, November 9, 2012

Blanket Drive

In September Emma spent some time in the hospital with appendicitis.  While there she received a soft and cute blanket from an organization called Project Linus.

Project Linus is an organization that provides new, handmade, and washable blankets to be given as gifts to seriously ill and traumatized children, ages 0-18.  The blankets are delivered to hospitals, shelters, and other agency's.  For a child, there is nothing like receiving a special blanket when they are not feeling good or are feeling scared.  Emma cherishes the blanket that she was given!

I thought that it would be fun to make some blankets that I can donate to this amazing and worthwhile organization and would like to invite you to help me.  If you would like to make a blanket or two please follow the specifications below and mail the blankets to me by November 27, 2012.  I know this does not give us a whole lot of time but it is enough to assemble a blanket or two.

Please take a look at the Project Linus website.

All blanket styles are welcome, including quilts, tied comforters, fleece blankets, crocheted or knitted afghans, and receiving blankets in child friendly colors.  Always remember that blankets must be homemade, washable, free of pins, and come from smoke-free environments due to allergy reasons.  The website has a few patterns that can be used, if you need ideas.

My contact from the local Project Linus Chapter in Pocatello, Idaho, USA informed me that they are mostly in need of blankets for the following sizes.

Infant                     36" x 40" Toddler - 6 Years  40" x 54-55"
Age 7 - Preteen     44-45" x 60" 
Teen                      50" x 72"

An inch or two bigger is fine, and teens down to 70" long is fine as well.  It seems strange to have such definite sizes, but if we imagine the size of the child with the blanket, the are well thought out.  I know that the busy season is upon us, but I have just received all of the information needed to move this project forward.  I would appreciate your help in making a child's (who is in need of a little extra TLC) day brighter.

Love to you all!!!

Kendra Stein

Please post a message in the comment section if you would like to help and I will private message you my address.  Thanks!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...